Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY ribbon loom

Make do, or make over. 

I remember reading an article describing that was how people used to live. And though the options were a lot more limited, they still managed to have a good time.

When I tried googling for the term, I came across 'Make Do and Mend' instead. The slogan was used during World War II to encourage British citizens to gather scraps and contribute all that they could find to aid the war effort, like metal pots and pans and even railings (info from this BBC webpage here)

In that vein, I was delightfully inspired by Poppytalk's post on a DIY ribbon loom

Because, you know, hoarder that I am, there was a loom from my childhood sitting in my cupboard! It was bought for $2.90 at MPH a few decades ago. I will have to ask around to find out if any of my aunts bought it for me.

So I dug the loom out, and rummaged in my bag of ribbon scraps to fund a ribbon of suitable length. I used an LV ribbon that I've also had for a long time.

Here are some photos of how things turned out.

Stretched out on the flower loom

Instructions on the back of the box

The finished flower

No comments: