Sunday, January 2, 2011

This is i Elizabeth...






















In my family, I'm generally the one who spots a movie that my mum, aunts/cousins will love (read: heartwarming, bring-on-the-tissue-paper). So when I heard about this book, I thought my mum would also enjoy it. Written by a former school Principal, the book is written breezily and humorously about her life growing up, the perks of being squint-eyed (not having your chicken drumsticks stolen at the dinner table), her journey through school ranks, touching the lives of students and living a full life (mountain-climbing!) despite facing cancer (twice). I myself had great times growing up with lots of family around me, and spending weekends at Changi Beach, so I enjoyed reading her account. So did my mum (usually a reluctant reader) and my dad.

And as a bonus, I spotted the mention of my friend Ian's mother in the book! Well I didn't know at the time that it was his mother but I felt sure they were related so I checked with him and found out. How cool is it to have a former student write a whole paragraph about how you touched her life? Anyway, I was pleased to be able to give Ian's mother a copy of the book, with a bookmark stuck in there to mark the page :)

A literary voice can make a positive impact in the world just as well as any choir. Proceeds from the book go to Goducate, a non-profit organisation started by 3 Singaporean Christians. Goducate aims to help poor Asians to help themselves in ways that I think are meaningful e.g. not simply handouts for the community but identifying the real needs and working with the community to initiate self-help projects (FAQs about Goducate are found here).

No comments: